Tuesday, February 12, 2013

How much is that doggie in the window

So as I mentioned in a previous post, A Year In Review, we had ourselves a litter of puppies last year. Maya Angel is our oldest Yorkie and she has become quite the little mom. We bred her with Harley, Kevin and Sue's yorkie. It was a very traumatic breeding process (for Corey and I, not the dogs) so this will be our one and only litter. Here's the story of how the delivery went.

I tried to prepare Corey and I as much as possible about the birth of the puppies but while combating my own pregnancy we left a lot of unturned stones. I was at work one night in late July when I got a message saying that I needed to call home for an emergency aka vet issue. I knew immediately that Maya must be in labor. I called Corey and tried to calm him but it seems that Maya was just not doing well. She was pacing, breathing irratically, not eating, vomiting, diarrhea, and not resting. Corey stayed with her and tried to help but they were both anxious. I knew that this stage could last hours but I also became a nervous wreck and left work early to be with my baby girl. These dogs are our children thus far and I was not going to be at work while my girl needed her momma. Mind you that Maya is a total momma's girl.

I got home and sent Corey to bed being that he couldn't escape his job as easily as I can mine. Maya was still getting sick and restless but once I sat down with her in the laundry room where she was nesting she settled down and went to sleep. I stayed with her for a few hours but eventually went to bed. Corey checked on her when he went to work and Maya was back to her usual self. I felt like a complete idiot for leaving work for her false labor. I laid on the couch for a mid morning nap since I'd been up most the night and awoke suddenly looking for Maya. She usually sleeps with me on the couch and she wasn't coming when called. I got up and went to the laundry room to find her and there waiting for me was 3 little pups and one very diligent mommy. She had birthed them all by herself. I was so excited. Ericka came over to see them. While we were watching her clean them, Maya started breathing really weird again. I quickly realized that she was having another one. This one she struggled a little with and so I helped to clean it and cut the cord. I was waiting for her to push the after birth out when I was surprised with a fifth pup. I did the same procedure with this one and then Maya finished the birthing process. She got the pups settled and then she zonked. I assumed we were done at that point and we were. 3 girls and 2 boys!

Maya was a wonderful mom. She nursed them all and took very good care of them. It was so hard to keep Cambry away from them but we didn't want Maya getting territorial or worse denying the pups. We sold them all to great families but not before falling in complete love with them.

Doggy Pile

"Tank" sitting in his dinner bowl!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness!What a ruff night ;) The puppies were so cute!!! Love your doggies <3

    ReplyDelete